Score the Tides Wharf & Restaurant’s famous Clam Chowder Recipe featured on California Living ® with host Aprilanne Hurley.
The Sonoma Coast is famous for many things including its fabulous Clam Chowder. And you know something is really good when it is made in 50 gallon and 80 gallon containers daily to keep up with the demand.
Now you can make The Tides Wharf & Restaurant’s famous New England Style Clam Chowder at home.
California Living ® recommends you also make a visit Bodega Bay, California to experience this tradition first hand.
Lucky us. Carlo Galazzo, General Manager of The Inn at The Tides and Tides Wharf & Restaurant on the Sonoma Coast was kind enough to give us the Tides Wharf & Restaurant’s famous New England Clam Chowder Recipe below, for CALIFORNIA LIVING ® viewers and web visitors to try at home.
Here it is…The Tides Wharf Restaurant’s famous New England Style Clam Chowder Recipe featured in the CALIFORNIA LIVING® “Hitchcock Bird’s Movie Scene Tour Special” – which sets the stage for a “Birds Weekend” on location in beautiful Sonoma County in the inland town of Bodega, and on the Sonoma Coast in Bodega Bay, California.
Tides Wharf Restaurant’s New England Clam Chowder:
- 1 lb clams, canned, chopped
- 5 cups clam juice, canned
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 1/2 cups hot heavy cream (Make it lighter by replacing with fat free half and half)
- 1 cup Roux, 1/2 butter 1/2 flour
- 1 cup celery, diced
- Combine bacon, onions, and celery in a saucepan, cook gently over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add clam juice and potatoes. Add Salt and pepper to taste. cook potatoes until tender.
- Add the hot milk and hot cream, boil for 5 minutes. thicken with the Roux, and…serve!